Friday, July 11, 2014

Freedom!!!!! Talkin bout Freedom!!!!

You guys rock, I'm just saying, so I want to share this with you.  I belong to this group, The Single Dad Laughing Health Club.  It's a Facebook page, but every week there's new challenges.  I posted this picture as part of one of the weekly challenges, sharing the inspiration behind our goal for becoming healthier.


And this is what I wrote about that picture.

"My inspiration comes absolutely from my son.  About four years ago, I took my son to this event called KORE-Kauai Oceanic Recreation Experience.  I had read about it in the paper, and I had three different people (two of which were complete strangers) tell me about it.  It took me 3 months after, the first time I heard about it, to finally get up the courage to get my son there.  Basically, KORE is group of avid water people-surfers, lifeguards, firemen, etc. who get all people into the water, no matter their ability.  

Well, the rest is history.  The first time Javy was on a surfboard, he had to be held on.  But as you can see from the picture, he loved it.  He had found his passion at 9 years old, imagine that.  So as time went on, a good friend now, loved to surf with Javy.  He said that every time he surfed with Javy, it was like his first time surfing.  Javy gave a primordial scream, when they were out there.  My friend kept taking Javy further and further.  Now he surfs out in "the bowl" where the big wave surfers go.  That's the picture on the bottom. 

I remember one session, before Javy went out into the big waves, our friend decided to just push Javy alone on the surfboard.  I was nervous, but I trusted that everything would be alright.  That first time, as Javy went past each person, completely free, riding his own wave; I had tears in my eyes.  I said to myself, I want to be free like Javy.  Ever since then, I've let Javy teach me how to surf.  And that's why and how, the transformation is taking place.  And its continuing.  If I make a mistake, I dust off and keep on going, because I know that laziness and binge eating are not my lifestyle anymore."

The real story behind these pictures is that Javy always knew he was free.  Even his first time trying something, he didn't care.  He showed no trepidation, he just went for it.  The person, in the upper left hand corner, didn't know that she already was free.  That's the real transformation-finding out that the ability to do what I want to do, is inside me.  I made all the choices that got me to 263 pounds, I own those.  And I own all the choices that got me to 175.  But its so much more than weight loss.  I finally have a balanced life, that I truly love.  And that, my friends, is freedom.  

If you're not happy where you're at in life, just watch Javy grow.  He is truly inspirational.  

No comments: