Monday, March 18, 2013

Dirty blonde ambition!

Just want to give a quick update and share a couple of great recipes I found.  First of all, Javy had his 11 year old check up.  Everything is good and he's all healthy.  But he only gained 2 pounds.  They weren't too concerned about it.  He did grow in height, quite a bit, almost a foot.  He's doing good on his seizure meds.

Life is kind of crazy, in this moment of our life.  I just started a new position at work so my nice safe routine life is a bit in limbo.  And its Spring Break for Javy.  So on my one day off, Saturday, mom was saying that we needed food and easy food that Javy would eat, since she would be at home all week with him.  Not wanting to go all the way to Costco, I got a little overly ambitious and pretty much cooked all day, using what we had left in the house.  (I did have to make one trip to the Big Save.)

The first thing I made, just for Javy, is Ranch Style Beans.  If your from Texas then you know what these are and you know its actually a brand of canned beans.  These are a staple of Javy's.  I have actually seen them in the stores here, but not lately.  But if I read the label, I probably wouldn't buy them now.  But I found this great blog, The Homesick Texan and I actually think her recipe is better than the canned ones.  Here's the link:  http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2010/03/ranch-style-beans-recipe.html  Check out her blog, she even has King Ranch Chicken.  I doubled the recipe and then I put portions in the small Ziploc's to freeze.

The second thing I made was a homemade chicken pot pie.  The filling of my pie, I pretty much just made up.  boiled some chicken with a bay leaf and garlic in the water.  Then boiled the vegetables in the chicken broth, adding salt and thyme and added the chicken back when it was all cooked.  But the pie crust was from a recipe I found on Pinterest.  And it was pretty damn good.  The secret ingredient is vodka and yes, I keep a vodka on hand, you know, just in case.  Here's the link for the recipe: http://www.littlebcooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/perfect-pie-dough.html

And one last thing, the pie crust is not calorie friendly.  I calculated that one serving of just crust was about 361 calories.

Hope y'all have a good Spring Break!

No comments: