Thursday, July 28, 2011

Heavy!

Today was one of those days when I felt like crying, like curling up in the fetal position and just bawling.  A wee bit dramatic, but I'm only being honest.  That is how I felt.  The day has finally arrived.  I've been trying to push it back.  I knew it was inevitable, but I wished it out of existence.  Javy finally had a growth spurt that pushed over the edge where I can't just pick him up like a sack of potatoes and carry him.  Heck, I couldn't even put him the shower tonight.

I knew he was having his growth spurt over the last couple of weeks.  He showed no interest in food and he was really restless.  That's been his pattern since he was small (haha, literally).  Then he'll get his appetite back and sleep like a baby.

The last doctor's appointment that he was weighed at, he was about 65 pounds and that was in November.  Since his last growth spurt, I think he's gained about 10 pounds.

But with the growth, also comes strength.  Javy is really strong and most of the time, I can get him to stand up and support his own weight which makes transitions easier.  But today, Javy had a floppy day.  I'm not sure why he does this every now and then.  Most times he's eager to stand up.  He may not do what he needs to do, but he'll dance and push furniture around.  Not today, he was having a hard time of it.

After eating his fish sticks, I wanted to give him a shower.  So I started stoking Javy up about playing in the water.  I managed to get him in his wheelchair to transport him to the bathroom. I pushed him up to the tub and then I tried to get him to support his weight and stand nice and tall so I could transition him into his shower chair.  I got him on his feet and he just plopped over my leg and wouldn't raise his head. Have you ever tried to carry a 75 pound of rice and give it a shower.  Pretty much impossible, it just bends in the middle and throws out your back.  This is the point where I wanted to crawl in the shower and bawl my eyes out.  I frustratingly tried to reason with Javy, explaining how he needs to help mommy because he's a strong boy until it  turned into, "Mommy can't do this anymore, pleeeeeease."  Alright, I knew it was enough talk with Javy just laughing at me so I just grunted and heaved and got him in his chair the best I could.  Got him all squeaky clean.  I tried, again, when I was getting him out.  Javy just got sad cause I wasn't having a good time.

I can no longer say as long as I can carry Javy, I will, because there will be a time when I cannot.  When I check-in with Hawaiian Airlines next week, I will have to get the aisle chair.  I can't make a mad dash off the plane, toting Javy like a sack of potatoes.

Fortunately, this isn't how the evening ended.  Javy successfully maneuvered himself onto the couch from his wheelchair and then back into it.  And I made him crawl onto his bed.  If he can crawl off, he can certainly crawl onto it.  Everybody has bad days and get under the weather and don't feel like doing much.  It's just that when Javy has those days, it's not the same.  He has to work harder for everything he does.  It's my job to teach him that he can't let up.  

No comments: