Monday, July 11, 2011

How my son taught me to surf!

Awesome isn't a big enough word to describe the day we had, today.  We met up with one of Javy's surfing buddies in Hanalei, this morning.  It was a beautiful day and there were sets of those soft, fluffy waves.  I noticed that the tide was moving in on the spot were we had parked Javy's wheelchair so I ran out of the water to go move it.  When I came back, Ryan told me, "Kevin is going to let Javy go on his own."  Oh my!  Okay, I started taking big breaths, telling myself it's okay, I totally trust Kevin.  But more than that I trust God, so I started praying to myself, more or less just to calm myself.

Here comes the set.  Kevin gave Javy a big push and let him go.  We had a chain of about four adults, hopefully the wave would lead Javy to one of us or we'd move fast enough to get in his path.  Javy was oblivious to all of this, as he lay prone, supporting himself with his elbows and his head high.  He was doing his snake pose.  We watched in awe as he moved his body with the wave and he came barreling towards us, laughing.  I gave him a kiss when he came to a stop.  Relieved and happy, I turned him around and pushed him back out.

Javy caught several more sets, just like this.  Javy stayed on the board, let the wave take him where it wanted to go.  Finally, one set took him a little to far to the left and he couldn't hang on or maybe he didn't want to.  It's debatable.  He went flying into the water.  My stomach dropped and my knees became weak and wobbly.  I knew that I couldn't get there fast enough.  But Javy came up, easily with his life jacket on, and he kept his head above the water.  Kevin flew over there and got him right back up on the board.  He took him straight back out and caught the next set.  Javy was in heaven.

I want to be free like Javy.

No comments: