Monday, August 5, 2013

Privates!

As if we didn't already know this, but despite Javy's disabilities, he is a normal child.  I just want to share more evidence of his ability to understand what's going on around him.

Today was Javy's first official day as a middle schooler.  I went to the school about mid-morning just to see how things were going, answer any questions and that sort of thing.  I was helping Javy's aide change his diaper and I was telling her about my ninja diaper changing abilities.  (I can change his diaper in his wheelchair, which makes it easy when we're traveling and there's not changing tables.)  Anyway, we're talking about this kind of stuff and I look down at Javy.  He's looking straight at me and giving me the meanest look.  When I look at him, he lets out this blood curdling squeal.  It kind of shocked us a second then it dawned on me.  The kind of stuff I was talking about would embarrass any 11 year old to have their mom's talking about to other people.  So I just apologized to him. I'm sorry Javy.  I won't tell her your personal business anymore.  And he just smiled.  I'll take this kind of affirmation over any dumb IQ test, anytime.