Tuesday, October 8, 2013

And Now For Something Completely Different........

Now on to the topic that's been stewing in my head for a few weeks now, before it boils down to nothing and another year's gone by.  After 16.5 years, I have resigned from my old employer and moved on to something, well, completely different.  I haven't really been able to talk about it much, just to people who were close to me.  But my next venture has been on my mind for quite some time.  I wanted to reach 20 years, just because....  It's 20 years, a good round number, whereas 16.5 sounds a little broken (and I really only missed the half year mark by 7 days.), like I gave up, or something.  My last day was on September 30, I thought that was appropriate, especially with a pending government shutdown (ahem).  Anyway, I digress.  I didn't exactly give up, life just kind of kicked me in the buttocks, and then lined itself up for me.  Really!  Sometimes failures are good things because they point you in the right direction of what you do want.  

Enough with the philosophizing, you might be saying.  I knew what I wanted, I just didn't know how to go about taking the next step towards it.  I wanted to be an occupational therapist.  At first, I thought I wanted to be a physical therapist, somebody who could help Javy walk.  But somebody told me one day that I needed to be a life coach.  And I was like, really that's an occupational therapist, they help with life skills and rehabilitating people to perform at their highest level.  I want to do that.  Occupational therapists don't necessarily work in an office, they can go where they are needed.  Flexibility, just what I need, especially when Javy is older and a young adult.  

So now, I went from being a steadily employed civil servant (third generation, I might add) to a Home Health Aide, going to school to be a Certified Nursing Assistant and a Classroom Aide for Headstart.  It makes perfect sense,right?  Not really, no one was more surprised than me to know that would be my next path.  Trust me, it's going to work and I really enjoy both my jobs.  I get to hang out with my two most favorite people-the little ones and the old ones.  And I'm really learning a lot about Javy in between.  In a couple of years, I'm going to apply for the Kinesiology Program at the University of Hawaii and I'll have the right background to get in.  Oh, and I'm off when Javy is out of school because Headstart follows the public school calendar.  

I guess, I'll be blogging a little more about frugality, because we're streamlining our life, a pretty good bit.  I haven't felt this free since I learned how to ride a bike.  

I trust that its all going to work out because since I've been Javy's Mama, things always do.  I gave up my dream to be an FBI Agent because being a mom was more important.  I did get to work at one of my dream jobs for a few years, but the satisfaction of that never quite overcame the desire to do the best for Javy.  That desire brought us to Kauai.  I will never regret anything in my past or say, "Should've, Could've, Would've."  I had so many great experiences and made some great friends working at the airport.  Javy may never have become a big wave surfer, if I hadn't been working at the airport. 

Dream on, my friends, dream on....

No comments: