Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cruizin'

I was driving home, just now, from Salt Pond.  I passed this girl, I've seen her around before.  She obviously works at McDonald's because she is always wearing a uniform when I see her.  She inspires me.  She walks to work.  Not only does she walk to work, but her gait is not straight.  One of her legs always stays straight, while she swings the opposite arm.  I've seen her all over Hanapepe, but from where she was today, now I know her walk to work is about a mile and a half, and includes a pretty tough hill.  I came pretty close to offering her a ride, but I stopped myself.  I wouldn't want anyone to give me a ride, I'd have my earphones in and be cruizin', too.

I want Javy to walk, too.  No matter how he does it, I want him to do it.  Not necessarily because he wouldn't need his wheelchair anymore and his life would be easier.  No matter what, he'll always have mobility and access to most things.  Those days of being bedridden and in an institution are over, thank God.  No, I want him to cruize on his feet because I think that he would think it's fun.  I believe he'll get there one day, it  may be funky (in a good way) but he'll get there.

I made this video Sunday of Javy trying to stand up.  It's kind of hard to see because I was right beside him.  But the remarkable thing was that he was pulling himself up with his legs and not hold onto anything.  

No comments: