Sunday, June 17, 2012

Lesson 2 - Get Yourself a Plan

For Javy, planning is easy.  He sees what he wants, he moves forward.  Sometimes, things aren't going the way he wants.  He looks around the room, sees who is around.  From experience, he knows what methods will work to get what he wants.  If its grandma, he'll wheel himself over to her and make with the eyes, maybe he'll let out a little sweet whine.  Grandma says, "Oh, I know what you need, a cookie."  If it's me, he doesn't fool around-just goes straight to the fussing so the only thing I can do is stick a cookie in his mouth.  (He knows I'm dense)

So what's my plan?  First, what's my problem?  I'm overweight with a bum hip and fear the ocean.  Easy-Start with losing weight, that'll help my hip, then as I become stronger, I will feel more in control in the ocean.  Sounds like a game plan.  Anyway, it's what I'm going with.

I'm still in the phase one part of this plan.  Did I mention that I'm 54 pounds lighter (as of today, June 16th, 2012) than when I started this excellent adventure?  So I've had success.

At first, way back in January, honestly, I didn't really have any plan.  I just started bringing my lunch to work everyday and doing a little exercise when I could.  You see, I have a basic policy: I don't do anything that Javy can't do with me while he's home.  That means if anyone invites me to do something, I won't go unless Javy is at school or asleep or its an activity he can enjoy.   I don't waste my time or my money at a gym.  I don't date, I don't splurge on "me time" at spas.  Well, wait a minute, I do have "me time", it's called going to work.  That's my personal decision and I'm much happier with myself for making it.  I have done all those things in the past - wasted time away from Javy to spend with some guy, got my hair and nails did at some fancy salon.  Basically, for me, I couldn't relax and enjoy it.  I love every minute that I spend with Javy, well, maybe not so much when he's whiny and fussy, lol.

I wish I could describe to you, how depressed I was because I really couldn't see any hope.  I remember watching an episode of the Biggest Loser, thinking, yeah easy for them to lose all that weight at a resort with no family or real life distractions.  I was probably eating ice cream or drinking rum or a beer, my F-You attitude.  But I did, eventually, get on my knees because when the pitiful human brain can't summon any hope that means it can only come from someone much stronger than my pitiful human brain.

I was on a day shift at work when I first went into action so there was no going for long walks after work. I bought this mini-stepper at K-Mart, because something is always better than nothing when it comes to weight loss.  My first time, I could barely make it to two minutes, I was so out of shape.  Then one day at work, totally out of the blue, a co-worker noticed that I was eating somewhat healthy.  He mentioned an iphone app called "MyfitnessPal".  I downloaded it right there in the break room and I haven't stopped using it since.  I just log everything into it that I eat, you can even scan barcodes of products.  All I gotta do is just make sure that I eat the correct proportions.

And there you have it: A Plan.  I mean it's not rocket science, you eat less, you will lose weight.  But the key to my plan is my resolve and I really don't know where it is coming from.  It must be supernatural-it's stayed with me for 6 months.  Failure is not in my future plans, either.

But I don't want this to be a blog about weight loss.  It's about following your dreams, conquering something that has evaded you.  It's about learning to surf.  I'm about half way to my weight loss goal and I've already conquered so much more.   

No comments: