Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fat girl in a skinnier girl's body




It's hard taking whole body pictures of yourself, but here's an updated photo-waist is about 34 inches, hips about 39 inches.

People are starting to notice, especially, the ones who don't know me well enough to know what I've been doing for the last five months.  Except for the Starbuck's chicks who have noticed my absence.  People who are just meeting me, probably just see me as another overweight American, because I've still got a long ways to go.  But if they're perceptive, they  may notice some muscle definition and my stellar posture.

But I've encountered an interesting phenomenon that I really didn't think about.  Before, I had thought of myself as a skinny girl in a fat girl's body.  I would forget sometimes that I was as big as I was, until I looked in the mirror.  I've always been athletic and loved playing sports, but I've also always been big. I was the cute little chubby kid, and then the stout, curvy teenager and finally, the blubbery middle aged woman.  It didn't bother me until I noticed that my body didn't work the way it used to.  So I never thought being skinnier would bother me.

What I've noticed is that a lot of people who never paid me any attention are now starting to pay attention to me.  I find myself asking, "Who the hell is that guy looking at?"  I forget because I'm used to being looked over.  I'm not very comfortable with it.  But it's not just guys, women, too, like now I'm worthy to be talked to.  It really brings awareness to me how physical appearance really affects people's judgement of others.    I'm working really hard and I'm proud of what I've accomplished.  I just want everyone to succeed at their goals and be happy with themselves.

I know I've got to change my perception of myself.  But here's a warning to all those potential "new friends":  "Move along!"

No comments: