Monday, July 15, 2013

KORE II

On tonight's episode of "Shout Out Sunday", I would like to give a big SHOUT OUT to the people of KORE.  It's coming up on their fourth anniversary and Javy has been participating with them for almost 3 of those years.  It's still an amazing experience every time.  It has grown so much and that only shows me that it was totally meant to be.  There are people from every walk of life who participate and volunteer.  From teachers, security officers (ahem), international traders, firemen, therapists, doctors and maybe even four out of five dentists would agree, it doesn't matter because what people do to make money, it just doesn't really matter there.  Its all about the ride.

And its not only kids like Javy.  This past Saturday, while me and Javy were waiting for our turn to surf, this older lady was waiting under the tent with us.  She bluntly stated, "I died and they brought me back.  Now I'm on my way back up."  I was awestruck for a moment, but I managed to say, "That's awesome!  Now you're coming back 100%."  She said, "You know it, sister."  Once she got out on the board, they couldn't get her out of the water.

I've had this theory about kids like Javy who have never walked.  I found out that this lady is a great athlete.  She has this spark that is going to keep driving her until she reaches her goal.  But Javy has never walked, he's never felt the freedom of running madly around a playground.  So how do you inspire the spark that could motivate him to walk.  I believe that KORE does just that.

I remember the first time Javy got on a surfboard.  I was so freaking nervous.  Up until then, Javy's experience in the ocean was the keiki pond at Salt Pond.  Our swimming apparatus was Mr. Zebra, a half ring.  I would stand there and hold the back of Mr. Zebra together while Javy splashed around.  I hadn't even swam in the ocean myself.  I'm not talking playing in the breaks, I'm talking fully immersed in the deep blue sea.  It took me about three months from the time that I had first heard about KORE to get him there.  I could not even fathom putting him on a surfboard in Hanalei Bay.  But the smile on his face that day, I knew there was no turning back.  And now he's a big wave surfer.

Javy's first time surfing!


I would just like to encourage everyone to support organizations like this.  They're all over the country.  In Miami, there's Shake A Leg Miami, where they do adaptive surfing.  In Texas, there's the Horse Boy Foundation.  Special Olympics and the Miracle League, also create an environment for all abilities and they're all over the country.  And by God, go and find your own passions and dreams, too.

You can find more information about KORE at korekauai.com

No comments: