Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Scrubs need not apply!

So what's unique about my blog, I think, is that I'm a single mom. There's plenty of single parents out there who are doing awesome jobs, but I only know a few single parents raising kids with disabilities.  I've never been married and Javy's dad hasn't seen him since he was about a year and half.  I think that everything worked out the way it was supposed to happen.

But I think that my blog provides a unique perspective from a single person going along for the ride, who is still young at heart.  I feel like I've gotten to be a little bit wiser, I'm still making mistakes but I always learn and pick myself back up.  One important lesson that I've learned is that Javy weeds out the  bad eggs.  Well, maybe that's too harsh, they're not necessarily bad eggs.  Maybe just the ones that aren't meant for us.

I've had a few boyfriends since Javy was born.  The way I approached it was that I just didn't talk about Javy, at first.  My logic was that I didn't want a stranger being involved in Javy's life until I had a chance to scope them out.  I thought I was saving myself the trouble of having Javy get attached to someone and then it not working out and then having a bunch of drama.  That method really didn't work, too well.

Now I'm just blunt about it.  As soon as I feel like someone is getting the slightest bit interested, I just bluntly state, "My son is in a wheelchair," and watch them back track.  I haven't dated in a couple of years, but I feel like that this method must be working and has saved me a lot of heartache.  Case in point, the other night I was purchasing a big ticket item at one of those box home improvement stores.  The sales associate seemed to be getting a little bit flirty and interested.  He must've been nuts because he told me that he liked my sense of humor.  Now I may be wrong about all this, but it seemed like I was getting a lot of personal information, as well as he trying to get a lot of personal information about me.  I was praying to myself, "Please don't ask me out, please don't ask me out!"  Don't get me wrong, he was nice enough.  I've just got too much on my plate to think about bringing in new people into my life, unless they come in easily and willingly.  So I bluntly added to the conversation, "My son is in a wheelchair."  Screech went his brakes and that was the end of that.  Shoo!

And don't think just because I've lost all this weight, I'm getting more attention.  I think I actually got asked out more when I was big.  But it maybe because when someone tries to get close, I stiffen up and pray to myself, "Please don't ask me out!  Please don't ask me out!"  I figure if they make it past all those tests, then it might be worth my time and Javy's time.

I'm just happy with my life overall now and have never been more sure of myself.  I love the people who are in my life and feel like I've been extremely blessed with positive people who want to include Javy and love him just as much as I do.  Another wise friend, pointed me in the direction of how to attract positive people into my life.  If you become the person you want to be then the people who should be in your life will naturally be attracted to you.  

No comments: