Thursday, April 17, 2014

Don't lose the steps you've taken!

These are the words that are ringing in my head, right now.

In March, we saw Javy's wonderful new neurologist, Dr. Lee.  He explained to me how Javy has cerebral palsy and an intellectual disability (not autism).  The question now is, why?  Is it genetic, or metabolic, or something else.  You see, I had been under the impression that Javy didn't have cerebral palsy, because doctors had told me that he doesn't have cerebral palsy.  They used it to describe him, but they said that the MRI's of his brain were normal and he had a big regression when he was about 3.  Kids with cerebral palsy, don't regress.  Cerebral palsy was just an umbrella term, they said.

But finally, I can say Javy has cerebral palsy and an intellectual disability.  This is good news to me, it means Javy can move forward.  His language skills are at about a 15 month level and his problem solving is at about 12 months.  He simply thinks like a baby, so we have to take a step back and stop trying to make him push complicated buttons to speak.  He verbalizes, now we're verbalizing with him.  His grandma is a big help with this and she can get him to mimic her sounds.

Last night, when I was reading a book to him, he started babbling.  Before, I would tell Javy you have to be quiet while I read the book, because you can't find out what happens if you can't hear it.  I was trying to make him conform to his age.  Last night, I let him babble while I read and I interacted with him even more.  When I stop reading, he stops babbling.  It's a beautiful accompaniment to "Oh, The Places You Will Go."

This made me think, as I've been feeling mighty depressed about my stagnation in weight loss.  I workout daily, eat right but I've even gained weight.  Two years and four months later, with what started out as baby steps, there's not an ounce of junk food in our home, the whole family eats whole foods.  We're about 75% organic.  Sitting on the couch for longer than 30 minutes is a rarity.  Currently, I'm working on my mental health overall, doing yoga, journal writing and meditation.

Just like Javy, I can't lose the steps of taken.  I spent 38 years of living a mostly unhealthy existence, so I can't let a minor setback keep me down.  We gotta keep taken steps forward.

Javy, just chill, ain't nothing getting this boy down.  


No comments: