Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Why this is important! Firefighter’s plight - Thegardenisland.com: Local

Firefighter’s plight - Thegardenisland.com: Local

The link above is an article that was in our local paper.  Please read it.

The above story is about a friend I've come to know since I've lived on Kauai.  I became acquainted with Karl whenever I worked at the airport.  I remember the first time I met him, he was flying out with his son and his wife.  For obvious reasons, I am always drawn to special kids and went over to help them out in the security line.  Then over time, I noticed Karl flying out in his Hawaiian Airlines flight attendant's uniform.  Then a few days later, he was flying out in board shorts and a t-shirt going to work at the fire station.  Over time, I've gotten to know him and his family and I can tell you that for five years, this guy flew out consistently and I could set my clock by his schedule at the airport.  But you would have never known that his schedule was causing him any stress.  He is always smiling, always respectful, and always willing to stop and ask me how Javy was doing.  The only time I ever saw him upset was because his son was going to be away on the mainland for a couple of weeks to spend time with the mom's family.

Some might read Karl's plight and think that's too bad, but that's the breaks.  He tried, just got to keep commuting.  I mean, my brother drove 3 and 1/2 hours one way to Atlanta every weekend, just to spend 1 and half days with his son.

But this is why it's important.  Karl is a caregiver.  He's part of a team, team Ethan!  All parents are caregivers, but being a caregiver of a special needs child involves a lot of meetings, a lot of doctor's appointments, and a lot extra special care.  A special needs parent has got to be on their toes and ready for anything.  Ethan deserves for Karl to be at his best.  The other members of team Ethan deserve for Karl to be at his best.  Karl deserves to be at his best.  The citizens of Kauai deserve to have a firefighter who exhibits this kind of dedication.  We all win when we have this kind of a guy in our community who wants to take care of his child and be a public servant.

So let's get Karl back to Kauai!  

No comments: