Saturday, April 27, 2013

More lessons learned

We survived our trip to Oahu, not unscathed, but we survived.  Javy is doing pretty well for someone who has an incision across his belly.  He's more active everyday and I only had to give him pain killers twice.

A few days ago, the topic of my post was "Lessons Learned".  I wrote this before my Oahu trip and how I was going to implement all the past lessons learned to make this trip better with all my preparation and research.  Well, the big lesson that I learned on this trip to Oahu is that no trip will ever be perfect, no matter how much prep time you put into it.  But the good thing is that all the issues we had were unique and we did not repeat past issues.  We were prepared financially, mentally and physically.  The big lesson is just take it all in stride and roll with it, because nothing can prepare you for:


  • Blowing out a slipper (flip-flop, for my southern friends) and having to tie it together with a chopstick wrapper.
  • Breaking a bra.  (I brought spare underwear, but not a bra.)
  • Having to ride the bus an extra mile and then walk back to your hotel, because the cute bus driver assures you that what you thought was your hotel was not and your stop is definitely coming up. I couldn't break it to him, he was really trying to be helpful.
  • The fact that the ocean floor where google maps showed the best beach access via wheelchair was a reef.  And Waikiki does not have showers to rinse all the sand off your feet.  
  • Your sinus infection becoming so bad because you had to spend all night in air conditioning that the your son's hospital staff wants to admit you into the hospital.  
  • And last but not least, finding out that your son's surgery is day surgery and he doesn't require an overnight stay, even though, you called the doctor's office and they told you he would be staying overnight in the hospital.  All of this, after you booked your flight accordingly.  




No comments: