Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Favorite Prayer

I'm doing my blogging earlier, today.  I've got to get some stuff done before I go to work.  So I just want to share something- My favorite prayer.  It's credited to St. Francis, but I just found this article that says its probably not his words, just inspired by his life.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-p-horan-ofm/living-the-prayer-of-st-francis-with-all-of-creation_b_1937279.html  I'm not catholic but I've always admired St. Francis and I'm going to put him on my list of people to study and emulate.  Among others on this personal list are the obvious- Jesus, Gandhi, Mother Theresa, the Dalai Lama and Joseph (the one with the coat of many colors).  Then there are personal heroes whose lives seem to shine really bright, some I know, some I'd like to, like Neil Young, Bono, Kevin Horgan, Ryan Gingerich, people who seem to put themselves out there beyond their comfort zones.  Anyway,  this prayer always reminds me of what's most important and is exactly who I'd like to be.   

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

No comments: