Monday, April 22, 2013

Sunday Morning Coming Down!

I'm just going to be honest!  I just don't like Sundays.  Seems like I always wake up with Johnny Cash singing in my head, "Cause there's something in a Sunday, Makes a body feel alone."  Now Sunday and Monday are my day off, and I'm working nights, at least for the next couple of weeks.  Its the only full day I get to spend with Javy.  I try to put that feeling aside.  Even if we're having the best day ever, surfing and spending great quality time together, at some point, I'll think about it.  Damn, its Sunday.  

I guess, it goes back to childhood.  The forced getting up and getting dressed for church.  The forced picture by the China Berry tree with our dad, all dressed up in our Sunday best, like one big happy family.  Having to sit still for what seemed like an eternity while Brother Morris went on and on, and listening to my grandma hum, loudly, while she played the closing hymn on the piano.  (Wait that's a good memory).  Everyone seemed so somber in my little kid mind.  Plus, all the stores were closed on Sunday and the streets were so empty.  Then you don't get to have any fun, because you've got get ready for the rest of the week.  

Now Saturday, that's my day!  I love Saturdays, the whole feeling of the day, no matter what, even if I'm at work.  Saturdays last forever.  I'm so excited for the day to begin, I get up early and stay up as late as possible.  When I was a kid, my mom got me up before she had to go to work.  I would watch cartoons, until my dad got up and made me breakfast.  In fact, seems like Saturdays were the only good times I had with my dad.  He made the perfect crispy fried eggs and he loved to watch Looney Tunes with me.  Then I'd spend the rest of the morning playing Mighty Mouse, in the Pecan tree, while my dad washed the cars and mowed the yard.  Then mom would take us to the beach when she got home from work.  On Saturday nights, we had the best dinners, Pancakes or pimento cheese sandwiches.  Sometimes, we'd even have sandwiches with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles.  Yeah, I'm really easy to please.      

It just shows how memories from childhood can still be pretty powerful, even when you're 39.  But I think I'm ready to move on.  I used to embrace the melancholiness, it was just a part of life.  I realize its not healthy to let those little things from the past affect me and there's new good things that I can embrace.  Now there is Sunday morning pancakes with Javy, and surfing and Salt Pond.  And having steak for dinner.  Actually, there are good memories to fall back on, too, it's just those little negatives that stand out the most.  There were roast beef and mashed potato lunches while we watched the Cowboy's play.  Then I played football with my brother and cousin, well, they practiced tackling me. 

Life has to have pleasure and pain.  It's how you respond to it that makes your character.    

No comments: