Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Naan, Y'all!

Today is the last week of Javy's elementary school career.  I know, a lot of parents have been through this before, even my own.  But I still am getting a little nostalgic.  So I'm working on a big photo montage, highlighting everything. Actually, Javy started preschool when he was three so his career is a little longer than most kids.  But I will have that by the end of the week.

Tonight, I want to talk about another unique situation we have.  Bread!  Javy doesn't necessarily have any dietary restriction, he can eat anything and does, anything in his path.  He doesn't have any issues with swallowing, so we're really lucky.  But one thing that he doesn't have is the ability to control how much he puts in his mouth and how fast.  It's like whatever is supposed to click in his brain to say, "Hey!  You can't stuff that whole cheeseburger in your mouth at one time.", does not click.  Javy cannot, at this time, have a whole sandwich and enjoy how the layering of certain ingredients can make your mouth sing.  We can cut it up for him, but c'mon it can't beat picking it up with two hands and taking that first bite of a fresh cooked reuben sandwich.

What we have to do is cut everything up in small, bite-size pieces.  If its on a fork, he will pick the fork up and put it in his mouth.  On that note, we also have to watch certain textures, like bread.  With chewy bread, he has a tendency to not follow through on the chewing bit and swallow things whole.  

You may be asking, "Why not just buy bread?"  Hmmmm, we have for many years bought the split whole wheat at Costco.  As a family we don't eat bread that much.  I tried the multigrain rounds, too.  But here's the thing, look at the ingredients.  It's hard to find bread without all the preservatives and extra crap.  And its expensive.  My quest has been to find the perfect bread to bake.  I believe I found it.  It's a recipe that I found for Naan, the traditional Indian flat bread.  http://www.spicytreats.net/2013/04/naan-naan-recipe-without-yeast-naan.html  Sometimes, Naan can be chewy, too.  But this one is not and it's just right for Javy.  In fact, I'm in love with this bread.  And it was sooooo easy and fun to make.




I pretty much followed the recipe. I don't tweak bread recipes too much because I'm still learning.  I didn't use multigrain flour, I used whole wheat organic.  The recipe tells you to use a tawa and I have no idea what that is.   I don't have too many fancy cooking gadgets, besides my tortilla press.  Being the queen of improvisation, I used my flat cast iron griddle and my large stock pot lid.  It worked most excellently.  I am really excited about this because I love it when I find success in simple things.  A boy needs a conduit for his peanut butter.  

2 comments:

Kristi Campbell said...

MM Naan! And my son often stuffs too much food into his mouth as well. Awesome that you made it from scratch!

Unknown said...

Its so good. I'm going to become the crazy naan lady, because I want to bake it for everyone to share.