Monday, May 6, 2013

Sunday Baking

Here we are again, at the end of a day with a glass of wine.  It was an awesome day, of course, any day of the week is awesome when you believe it is.  Its was my only day off until next Saturday so I had to get a lot of stuff done.  I've decided that Sunday will be the official baking day, it's my therapy.  You have to be a little precise and a little bit creative and then this miracle happens that you can eat.  So here is what I baked today.

For Javy's breakfast for the week, he gets blueberry muffins.  I used the simple recipe from my old Good Housekeeping Cookbook.  Nothing can beat a good, simple recipe book.  Its just basically sweet biscuits with blueberries folded in.

Then I started our Cinco de Mayo fiesta-Tacos made from scratch, including the taco shells and a cheese cake.  This one was low carb and pretty easy.  http://www.fatguyweightloss.com/low-carb-cheesecake-recipe/  The almond flour pie crust is awesome.  Do you know how you make almond flour?  You just crush a bunch of almonds in your food processor.  Cheaper than buying at the whole food market.  But the one thing I would change about the recipe is the Splenda.  I'm going to experiment with alternative sugars, like raw sugar.  But my mom is diabetic so this was perfect for her.  And the recipe is pretty poorly written which I don't like.  Had to kind of guess on a few things, like the fact that sour cream is in the list of ingredients, but its not in the recipe.  Just add it, I think its good to counteract the sweetness of the Splenda.

Homemade tortillas are so good and
tortilla presses make them so much easier to make!

Tacos were a success!  No stinkeye!

The last thing was Javy's snack for the week!  Skinny Chunky Monkey Cookies, and I think I'm gonna get stink eye for these, they're not very sweet.  http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/05/skinny-chunky-monkey-cookies-recipe.html  I like them, there's no sugar.  I made them exactly like the recipe said and they came out exactly like the recipe promised, just the way I like it.

I've got to get up in less than six hours, so goodnight and good cooking, everyone!

No comments: